Sunday, April 14, 2013

Feel Good Monday Post: Keeping it Simple

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all well and enjoying April!
Life is packed with all kinds of good things. This week I am working on keeping life simple. On that note, here is a simple, yet delcious breakfast recipe from Heidi Swanson.  Sometimes I get in a breakfast rut,  I thought I would share this with you in case you do too.   I have added what I would substitute in parenthesis.  

Here is a wonderful quote from Rumi that always reminds me to live in gratitude.

"There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the ground." Be well! Lysa




Warm and Nutty Cinnamon Quinoa Recipe

1 cup organic 1% low fat milk ( I would use almond or coconut milk)
1 cup water
1 cup organic quinoa, (hs note: rinse quinoa)
2 cups fresh blackberries, organic preferred
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted*
4 teaspoons organic agave nectar, such as Madhava brand ( I would use 2 tsp of maple syrup)
Combine milk, water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat; let stand covered 5 minutes. Stir in blackberries and cinnamon; transfer to four bowls and top with pecans. Drizzle 1 teaspoon agave nectar over each serving.
Serves 4.
*While the quinoa cooks, roast the pecans in a 350F degree toaster oven for 5 to 6 minutes or in a dry skillet over medium heat for about 3 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment