Monday, February 25, 2013

Feel Good Monday Post: Unplugging and Recharging


Hi Everyone,

There seems to be a consistent theme that I have become aware of this month.  The need to "unplug" and the challenge of actually following through with this is my lesson right now.  When I work with people, I not only work with what people are feeding themselves foodwise but also look at the broader picture of what they are "feeding" themselves.  I often suggest developing some kind of relaxation practice, exercise routine not only for weight loss but also for a sense of well being.  I encourage people to eat mindfully, sitting down, creating awareness around not just what they are eating, but how.  The goal is to help people feel their healthiest and happiest.

What I am finding for myself is that I need to practice these simple life changing rituals myself.  For the most part my diet is just fine, and the way I eat is more often relaxed than not.  It is the "unplugging" from the internet (even for work) and my time management skills that need attention.  Two weeks ago I was racing to a nutrition workshop so I wouldn't be late. I felt so stressed that I was hit over the head by the impact of my pattern of always racing around on my nervous system.  All the good eating, exercising, water drinking won't make up for the self induced stress I put on my adrenal glands when I try to do a unrealistic amount of things in one day.

So....for this week, I am going to commit to working on "unplugging and recharging".  For me, this will mean turning my computer off by 9pm, taking time to breathe and fit in at least 5 minutes of stretching, walking a few times this week and giving myself enough space to be on time to my appointments.

How will you unplug and recharge this week?

Here is a great recipe I cooked with a client this week.  If you are a vegetarian, I would just use tofu or tempeh instead of chicken and veggie broth instead of chicken broth. This is very child friendly (without ginger unless your child is a ginger fan). The sauce is really yummy and is simple to make.

Be well!
Lysa

Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry from www.healthyseasonalrecipes.com

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup

  • 2 tablespoons tahini
  • 
2 tablespoons tamari 
  • 4 teaspoons sesame oil, divided

  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed

  • ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper or black pepper

  • 1 bunch scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated

  • 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root (or you can mince it if you don't have a microplane)

  • 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 
4 cups broccoli florets, about 2 small crowns
  • 2 cups sliced carrots

  • 1 tablespoon lime juice

  • 2 teaspoon sesame seeds, for garnish, optional
Instructions:
  • Whisk maple syrup, tahini, tamari or soy sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
  •  Heat large skillet over high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil and swirl to coat bottom of skillet.  Add chicken, sprinkle with pepper and cook, turning once or twice until browned, 5 to 6 minutes.  Note* the chicken will not be fully cooked and will continue cooking in the sauce in step 4.  Remove the chicken to a plate.

  • Add the remaining 2 teaspoons canola to the skillet, followed by the scallion whites and ginger.  Cook, stirring until fragrant, 15 to 30 seconds.  Add broth and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits. Add broccoli and carrots, cover and simmer, stirring once or twice until the broccoli is bright green and the vegetables are still crisp but starting to soften slightly, 4 to 5 minutes.
  • Stir sauce, the chicken and any accumulated juices from the plate into the vegetables and continue cooking, stirring often until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in reserved scallion greens, lime juice and sesame seeds.

Note: Serve with brown rice or whole-grain noodles.




No comments:

Post a Comment